Recovering from GRUB effects of "garbled" install

From: Richard Owlett
Subject: Recovering from GRUB effects of "garbled" install
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 10:31:30 -0500

I took the prompts issued by the installer included on "live" edition of Ubuntu 10.10 *TOO* literally. I was working on a Windows machine on which I had no intention whatsoever to have any Linux distro whatsoever.

I thought I was installing everything to a USB stick. It accepted me designating the stick as target. When asked if the whole device was to be used I responded affirmatively. I expected a Linux install on the USB stick that I could run on any machine that could boot to a USB device (all my hardware has the ability).

What I _got_ however was Ubuntu on the USB stick and GRUB 1.99 on my hard drive. This could have been an annoyance only. *EXCEPT* GRUB has evidently been configured to default to Ubuntu with the side effect of failing to boot any OS if the USB stick is not inserted at boot time.

Questions:
1. Can I get rid of GRUB completely from my hard drive?
2. Failing that, can I have the existing WinXP be the default OS. Related, I must get rid of requirement that the USB stick be present.

I raised the question on a Ubuntu forum and got a confused mishmash of responses. A primary problem was responders ignoring differences between GRUB Legacy and GRUB2.

HELP ;/
Though a Linux newbie I'm not scared of the command line as I date back to before CPM-80.

TIA