Re: Newbie Grub2 tweaking tool/instructions?

From: Richard Owlett
Subject: Re: Newbie Grub2 tweaking tool/instructions?
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 06:22:30 -0500

Jordan Uggla wrote:
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 6:23 AM, Richard Owlett<address@hidden>  wrote:
I'm new to Linux though have been end-user since CPM-80 days [took a much
too long detour thru Windows].

I've dedicated one machine to experimenting with multiple versions (mostly
Debian related) installed from that distro's LiveCD.

The combination of the installer and grub2 gives two annoying results:
   1. The latest install goes to the top of the Grub displayed list of
choices
      of which OS to load.
   2. The content of menu entries is not human friendly - it gives distro and
kernel
      version, but not desktop and my keyword for what options I took while
installing.

What I need:
   1. newest install to be on bottom of the list
   2. to be able to create menu entries meaningful to myself
   3. the menu entries keep my custom entries across multiple additional
installs

What I'd also like is to not have excess menu entries:
   1. each install provides a normal and "rescue" entry point. For the
purpose of
      _my experiments_, the "rescue" entry is just a line cluttering up the
menu.
   2. the Debian install also provide 486 and 686 versions. Only the 486
version
      will eventually be relevant on some eventual target machines so I'll
only want
      to experiment with that version.

I take it as a given I'm going to have to dedicate a small partition or a
USB stick for grub's exclusive use.

You don't have to do this, but it is the recommended way to handle
this. There's been a section in the GRUB manual added recently for
specifically this:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Multi_002dboot-manual-config
. If there's anything not clear about this section please mention it
so that we can improve the documentation.

That looks good. Thank you.

[snip]