Re: RAID, number of disks supported

From: Simon Hobson
Subject: Re: RAID, number of disks supported
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 10:51:00 +0000

Chris Murphy wrote:
I can consistently boot a /boot on md RAID 0, 1, 4, 5, 6 with 5 disks. At some
point above that, at least by 8 disks, I get dropped to a grub rescue prompt
with an error that it can't find 'mduuid/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'.
Does anyone know off hand what the max number of disk members supported is? Or
is this a bug? It's either 6 or 7 apparently.

Can't help with that, but if booting into an MD raid environment I make /boot a
mirrored set (raid 1). By running grub-install to each disk, I get a system
that can boot from any of the disks - using the partition (eg /dev/sda1) rather
than the raid set. I've only gone to 5 disks.
However, there's an argument that by the time you reach 3 disks, you gain
nothing. If you have 3 (or more) disks missing, then failure to be able to boot
is going to be the least of your worries - raid 6 will only tolerate 2 dead
disks.

--
Simon Hobson