Re: EasyBCD and GRUB2

From: S O
Subject: Re: EasyBCD and GRUB2
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 20:55:05 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the tip, Andrey.

Thanks to it I was able to sort it out.

I ended up creating one master GRUB partitions plus BOOT+ROOT joint partition per each Linux instance.
Master GRUB partition has grub.cfg with entries like

menuentry "MyLinux1" {
    search --no-floppy --set root --label MYLINUX1
    set prefix=($root)/boot/grub
    configfile $prefix/grub.cfg
}

menuentry "MyLinux2" {
    search --no-floppy --set root --label MYLINUX2
    set prefix=($root)/boot/grub
    configfile $prefix/grub.cfg
}

and so on.

Thus GRUB is actually loaded only from master partition (which should reduce the risks of "blocklist" issues in case of backups etc.), but then menu directs it to instance-specific partition and grub.cfg in that partition. All per-instance file activity is thus contained to per-instance partition, with no headache for any possible interference between instances.

- Sergey