Re: Is there a way to specify all blocks in the block list syntax?

From: Alan Perry
Subject: Re: Is there a way to specify all blocks in the block list syntax?
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 11:53:00 -0800

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 6:20 AM, Alan Perry <address@hidden> wrote:
Is there a way in the blocklist syntax (e.g., "(hd0)0+100" to specify blocks
0-99 of hd0) to specify all blocks? It looks like the offset is optional,
but the length is required.

Yes, looks like it.

Is there some other way to specify the entire contents of a device to
commands that take a file argument?

I can think of two ways to get it

- allow ($hdd) syntax without filename to mean "full device"

As I was reading the GRUB2 documentation, I thought that was the way that it worked. I was looking at implementing that behavior when I discovered the blocklist syntax and figured that I would try using that instead. I can get the block count.

What is the blocksize for the blocks specified in the blocklist? Filesystem blocksize (2048 in my case since the filesystem is iso-9660), 512 or something else?

I am trying to pass an iso filesystem image to the loaded OS through the Multiboot2 info.

alan

- extend probe command to query device size, so you could do

probe --size --set size $hdd
whatever ($hdd)+$size

I prefer the latter. Patches are welcome :) But please explain your
use case if submitting.