Re: Multiple boot from USB stick

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Multiple boot from USB stick
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 09:35:42 +0300

13.02.2016 20:28, Karsten Malcher пишет:
> Hello,
>
> i want to setup an USB stick that is able to boot different OS form ISO.
> But all examples i could found does end in errors like "error: no such
> partition".

grub cannot "boot ISO". What is possible is to access filesystem on ISO
and load individual files. If loaded file can then access ISO image it
is close enough to "boot from ISO image".

> Can i find anywhere examples to boot an ISO with grub 2.02.
> I don't understand the general structure how to specify the iso file on the
> stick and initiate the loop to read and boot it?
>
> My most recent problem is to boot an freedos image to make an BIOS update.
> When i look at the documentation there is no real hint how to do that?
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#DOS_002fWindows
>
> An very special problem is to boot an iso image with an freedos in it that
> has an bios updater.

That probably won't work without extra help. Loaded FreeDOS would need
access to image as device, and this will require some resident driver to
emulate access.

There were reports that is works using Sylinux memdisk with Smart Boot
Manager. They can be loaded by GRUB if needed.

Almost identical question was discussed recently, you could search list
archive for last couple of weeks for additional information.