Re: Removal of Software Raid-1 from disk causes linux system in to grub

From: Simon Hobson
Subject: Re: Removal of Software Raid-1 from disk causes linux system in to grub rescue mode
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:13:59 +0000

On 20 Mar 2017, at 16:06, rishi narian <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   When i tried to removed the Raid-1 array from the Linux system which
> causes  Linux system in to *grub resue* mode with lvmid/ not found error.
>
> I am unable to recover or find out the grub configuration from the existing
> system due to which i am blocked to boot in to OS.

Can I recommend SuperGrub Disk : http://www.supergrubdisk.org

There's a good chance it will help you boot your system to a state where you
can fix things.

However, from what I understand of your description, you still have raid-1
working and md0 is active (just with only one disk). So the system should be
able to boot from that.

As an aside, and rather "post horse leaving, stable door shutting operation",
it's one of the reasons I still use a boot partition - or when raid is
involved, a raid-1 mirror (v0.9 metadata) across all the drives in my array (I
think I had one system with 6 drives in a raid-1 array at one time !). That
way, the system can boot at least part way regardless of the state of the
drives (I also grub-install to all of them).
Any single drive can load grub, then as long as the array with / on it has
sufficient drives, the system can boot.