Re: Force location of GRUB's boot and core images ?

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: Force location of GRUB's boot and core images ?
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2017 13:44:09 +0200

Le 09/04/2017 à 10:52, Andrei Borzenkov a écrit :
09.04.2017 11:14, Pascal Hambourg пишет:

In some cases I would need to force installation of GRUB's boot and core
images into a specific location on the drive instead of letting
grub-install decide automatically.

For example :
- install the boot image in the first sector of an unformatted partition
- install the core image in the second and next sectors of that partition.

Is this possible through any undocumented options or internal commands ?

No. The most straightforward workaround is to create loop device on top
of partition and create partition table inside with at least one
partition and suitable post-MBR gap. Then you will be able to install on
/dev/loopX. You may zap partition table afterwards to avoid confusion.

Thanks for your answer. I did not think that GRUB would support installing on a virtual device such as a loop device.

I just tried it. grub-install executed without any error, but chainloading the partition boot sector leaves me with a blank screen after the "boot" command. bootinfoscript reports that grub2 is installed in the boot sector of the partition and looks at sector 1 of the same hard disk (which contains the GPT header) for core.img. I guess that proper booting would require that the boot image looks at the partition offset+1 instead.