Re: Force location of GRUB's boot and core images ?

From: Xen
Subject: Re: Force location of GRUB's boot and core images ?
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 08:41:23 +0200

Andrei Borzenkov schreef op 10-04-2017 5:08:

If /boot/grub can remain unencrypted (after all, it does not really
contain anything core.img cannot) you can simply install it as

mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt /dev/sda5

using something like ext2 or FAT.

Of course your empty partition could also simply be an empty ext2 partition if Grub installs on that okay.

I don't know how big the smallest ext2 must be but I don't think very big and no 1GB btrfs partition or anything of the kind.

Then using "my" patch you could even have a PV header on it and nothing else and Grub would install on that also, I believe, although I haven't tested on partitions, but that is nonsense if you can just use a ext2 partition right.

The PV header is also just one sector. But at this point because you need a custom grub I would consider that a bit nonsensical if you can just put ext2 on it?

Regards.