Re: Towards a customized Grub2

From: Dale R. Worley
Subject: Re: Towards a customized Grub2
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 10:17:49 -0400

Richard Owlett <address@hidden> writes:
> What I want "to obtain and install" is an "unadulterated canonical
> Grub2". Does what I want even exist in the "www.gnu.org/software/grub/"
> universe of discourse? Or is Grub2 itself only a set of building blocks
> and intentionally not a complete entity {right word?}?

Be careful to distinguish "Grub2", the code that runs at boot time, from
the array of shell scripts, etc., that installs Grub2 on a disk and
writes the grub.cfg that controls its behavior at boot time.

The first item is likely to be what people think of when you say
"Grub".  The second item is likely to be what people are using when they
say "a Grub installation".

Probably every distribution that includes Grub does some alteration and
customization of "www.gnu.org/software/grub/".

Dale