Re: Grub Always Boots to Rescue Mode

From: Gordan Bobic
Subject: Re: Grub Always Boots to Rescue Mode
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 13:02:35 +0100

For completeness, here is the environment as reported at the prompt before
I manually have to invoke the normal mode:

grub> ls
(hd0) (hd0,gpt9) (hd0,gpt2) (hd0,gpt1)

grub> lsmod
Name Ref Count Dependencies
minicmd  1
ls  1  normal,extmod
normal  3  gettext,boot,extcmd,bufio,crypto,terminal,net
gettext  4
extcmd  6
crypto  4
terminal  4
net  4  boot,datetime,bufio,priorit_queue
boot  9
datetime  5
bufio  9
priority_queue  5
part_gpt  1
zfs  1  gzip
gzio  2

grub> set
?=0
color_highlight=black/light-gray
color_normal=light-gray/black
feature_200_final=y
feature_all_video_module=y
feature_chainloader_bpb=y
feature_default_font_path=y
feature_menuentry_id=y
feature_menuentry_options=y
feature_nativedisk_cmd=y
feature_ntldr=y
feature_platform_search_hint=y
feature_timeout_style=y
fw_path=(hd0,gpt2)//EFI/centos
grub_cpu=x86_64
lang=
locale_dir=
net_default_ip=(null)
net_default_mac=(null)
net_default_server=
pager=
prefix=(hd0,gpt1)/ROOT@/boot/grub2
pxe_default_server=
root=hd0,gpt1
secondary_locale_dir

grub>

At this point punching in "normal" fires up the boot menu and boots the
machine correctly, but I cannot understand why it doesn't proceed with
"normal" without manual intervention by default.

gpt2 is the EFI partition, gpt9 is a reserved partition with nothing on it,
gpt1 is a ZFS root pool (but all grub requirements are on the EFI FAT
partition gpt2).