Re: EFI PXE boot using grubx64.efi - Large images

From: Locane
Subject: Re: EFI PXE boot using grubx64.efi - Large images
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 18:20:46 -0800

Randy, you are a god.  That totally worked.  The critical piece of
information I was missing was that you can pass *URL*s to the root= kernel
parameter.  I had no idea you could do that.  I think I've actually even
seen it before in our other deployments, but for some reason didn't make
the connection that it would also work with a CentOS kernel.

I had a local copy of the CentOS 7.4 ISO on our production server, so I
grabbed the initrd and vmlinuz files from its x86_64/images/pxeboot
directory, and set them up to be the linuxefi and initrdefi parameters.
Then, I took the squashfs image out of the ISO I wanted to boot to (by
mounting it to a directory and yanking it out of LiveOS/ ) and then put it
in an http accessible directory, then set the parameter to reference it.
This is what I ended up with:

menuentry 'Testing LiveCD' {
   linuxefi efi/vmlinuz initrd=efi/initrd.img ksdevice=bootif
rootfstype=auto root=live:http://<SERVER
IP>/livecd/testing_efi_squashfs.img ro rd.live.image rd.luks=0 rd.md=0 rd.dm
=0
   initrdefi efi/initrd.img
}

Where "efi/vmlinuz" and "efi/initrd.img" are in a subdirectory called efi
at (because I use Cobbler) /var/lib/tftpboot/ and the files from the
x86_64/images/pxeboot section of the standard CentOS 7.4 ISO.

I actually go through a lot of acrobatics to create my own custom CentOS 7
LiveCD using Lorax and then (used to) use the old iso-to-pxeboot tools to
convert it in to a format that is servable over PXE.

I will write a blog post on this whole process and how I arrived here
because I honestly couldn't find ANYONE trying to do this over an EFI PXE
menu - hopefully someone will see it and be able to use it to not go
through the same pain I have been on and off for the last 8 months.