help-gsasl

Re: GNU SASL Summer of Code

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: GNU SASL Summer of Code
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:23:58 +0200

Francis Brosnan Blazquez <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Simon,
>
>> (Altough the DIGEST-MD5 related ideas should probably never be
>> done... the IETF appears to, rightly, be starting to kill DIGEST-MD5)
>
> Many SASL projects states that CRAM-MD5 should be avoided because it is
> deprecated in favor of DIGEST-MD5. So, an inevitable advise is to
> recommend users to use DIGEST-MD5 (as we do at [1]) for new protocols.
>
> Until now, I thought DIGEST-MD5 was fine. Why do you think DIGEST-MD5
> should be killed?

Hi Francis!  DIGEST-MD5 have some problems:

* Implementation complexity.  The security layers
  (encryption/integrity) doesn't interop well, and have security
  issues.

* Security concerns.  It is built on MD5 and a non-standard MAC mode.

Anyway, there were long discussions about this at the last IETF, the
summary is http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.sasl/2818 which says:

  Given problems with DIGEST-MD5 in terms of interoperability and
  implementability, there appears to be consensus to move DIGEST-MD5
  (in the form of RFC 2831) to Historic.

However, in practice, there is no alternative yet, although there were
presentations on three different password-based mechanisms at the
meeting.  They all used HMAC with SHA-256, or similar, which is much
better than CRAM/DIGEST-MD5 and they all looked quite easy to
implement (similar to CRAM-MD5 complexity).  I'm working a on a fourth
proposal myself (written as a GSS-API mechanism).

To me, this makes it clear that DIGEST-MD5 isn't the future, and it
doesn't make sense to spend any more time working on improving it for
GSASL.

/Simon