help-gsl

[Help-gsl] Building GSL under Visual C++, Mission Impossible

From: Mark Dunner
Subject: [Help-gsl] Building GSL under Visual C++, Mission Impossible
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:07:12 -0800 (PST)

Dear all,

I'm trying to get GSL to build under Visual C++ (6).
Despite having done the following, I still can't work out what to do.
Am I too stupid?

- Read http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/ This page states that Microsoft
Visual C++ 6.0 is a "supported platform". A good start.
- Downloaded the latest distribution (1.4) from a mirror
(ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gsl/gsl-1.4.tar.gz)
- Unzipped in a directory
- Noticed that there are no Visual C++ .dsp (project) or .dsw
(workspace) files whatsoever
- Read the INSTALL file, which refers to http://sources.redhat.com/gsl/
(back to square one) or the msvc directory
- Noticed that said directory is not in the distribution, only in CVS
- Downloaded the msvc directory and subdirectory from CVS following,
not without difficulties, the instructions which by the way are not
even on the official gsl page, but on this "alternative" redhat page
(http://sources.redhat.com/gsl/)
- Read the msvc/Readme.txt file and realised that this directory is all
about "Using GSL with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0" and "Compiling an
Application" that uses GSL. This file also talks about various DLLs,
LIBs and workspaces that I don't know where to get from.
- Noticed that the HACKING file mentioned in some recent posts in this
mailing list is also not part of the distribution. May I also point out
that HACKING is probably the *last* file a novice would open, alas it
must be the first one
- Downloaded the "release-1-4" tag from CVS - don't ask me how I worked
out the format of the tag.
- Inferred that the first steps in HACKING must be performed on a
Unix-like OS
- Downloaded and installed cygwin (no problems there) together with the
GSL sources. Note that I kept this as a last resort, as ideally I would
like that my users shouldn't have to install cygwin or have any cygwin
DLLs on their system. It is not clear from the HACKING file whether
this is the case.
- Inferred that "preparing" the distribution tar file means that I have
to run "./gsl-1.4.2.sh prep". This, on a fresh cygwin install, lead to
"patch: **** Can't create file /usr/bin/%TMP% : File exists". I decided
to ignore this and carried on. Also I don't understand why the patch
(1.4.2) available through cygwin is not available at the official GSL
site.
- Copied the directory msvc from CSV to the cygwin source directory -
this step is not detailed in HACKING
- Run "make update" not really understanding why - no errors
- Realised that the script windists.sh is neither in the distribution
nor in CVS, nor indeed anywhere on the Internet, as far as Google is
concerned

I think I have exhausted every reasonable avenue of advance. Could you
please help?
Does anybody have the script, zip or dsw files mentioned in HACKING?
Did anyone actually manage to go through the process, and if so, could
he or she please make the binaries available to the community?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Mark Dunner