Re: [Help-gsl] gsl_sf_legendre_Plm_e sign error

From: Brian Gough
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] gsl_sf_legendre_Plm_e sign error
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:30:29 +0000

Robin Hankin writes:
 > I'm working with Legendre functions and I'm trying to reproduce
 > Abramowitz and Stegun's
 > figure 8.2 which shows $P^1_n(x)$.

I think there is a problem, you're right. At least the documentation
may have the wrong sign convention.

 > Here's the relevant bit of my code.  I am a C novice!   (any advice on coding
 > style gratefully received).

When reporting a problem the best thing to do is to provide a small
example program that can be compiled (standalone), and show the output
you get from it.

With only a snippet of code it's difficult to know if something
elsewhere in the program might be causing the problem (e.g. by
corrupting memory).

Brian Gough
(GSL Maintainer)

Network Theory Ltd,