help-gsl

Re: [Help-gsl] Source code for HiCalc / breah of GPL for GSL

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Source code for HiCalc / breah of GPL for GSL
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:55:28 +0100

Brian Gough wrote:

Thanks for the information, I was not aware of this ---

Glad to be of help.

I will start
the process for investigating and resolving a license violation.

OK. One assumes this breach is unintentional, since they made no effort to hide the fact they are using GSL.

But even so the code should be released under the GPL now. There are not IMHO any decent scientific calculators for Pocket PC, but perhaps if this was released under the GPL there will be some effort to produce one.

Some of the program (parts I assume use GSL) for solving 3 simultaneous equations and matrix operations are are quite nice and not common on scientific calculators.

Other parts, such as biorhythms and a calculator to find how much each person in a group pay for a tip in a restaurant are just stupid. I think the GSL stuff adds quite a bit to this calculator.

Perhaps if it is GPL'ed we could improve on some of the things it does well and remove some parts which are of very questionable use. All things that make open-source software good.

--
Dr. David Kirkby