help-gsl

[Help-gsl] confusion about gsl pre-compiled version for windows

From: Georgios Ketsetzis
Subject: [Help-gsl] confusion about gsl pre-compiled version for windows
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:12:13 -0000

Dear GSL developers,

I would like firstly to thank you for your great work and for making
such an important contribution to scientific computing worldwide. On
behalf of all the users a great thank to you all.

I am one of the least fortunate to have to use windows xp in the
government organization that I work for (see my email address and
signature below). For that reason I need to compile the GSL latest
version under windows xp and then use it within Dev-C++.

My problem is how to compile GSL-1.10 under windows. I am using cygwin
which I have just updated but still receive error messages when
executing the "make" command.

Generally I have to remark that installing GSL under windows XP seems to
be problematic and I regret to report that there is no adequate, clear
documentation on the subject. From google searches I have also noted
that there are many others like me out there that seem to think that it
is difficult to make use of GSL within windows.

It is great if great people like you post on the internet the binary and
source files for windows. But perhaps it would be good for the
popularity of GSL and GNU software generally, to create a brief extra
web page with instructions of how to produce these files (from the ones
available for Linux) so that one can have a working version for windows
too, as it is true that many people are still forced to use windows OS,
unfortunately, because this is used in government organizations that are
slow in following and adapting to our changing times of Linux thriving.

Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you in the earliest
convenience. Again, thank you for your great contribution to humanity
and I hope that I can assist you in this great effort to help all of us
worldwide.

With very best wishes,

Sincerely,

Georgios Ketsetzis

The information contained in the EMail and any attachments is
confidential and intended solely and for the attention and use of
the named addressee(s). It may not be disclosed to any other person
without the express authority of the HPA, or the intended
recipient, or both. If you are not the intended recipient, you must
not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part
of it. This footnote also confirms that this EMail has been swept
for computer viruses, but please re-sweep any attachments before
opening or saving. HTTP://www.HPA.org.uk