help-gsl

Re: [Help-gsl] Suggestion about root finding algorithms

From: Brian Gough
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Suggestion about root finding algorithms
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:34:14 +0000

At Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:39:32 +0100,
Vicent wrote:
> I would like to request a function that allows to get also the value of
>  f(root)  that it is already contained in the "state" element of the
> "solver" element, AT LEAST IN THE CASE OF SOME SOLVERS.
>
> What do you thing? I hope I've managed to explain what I wanted to say.

I understand your point.  The reason it was not implemented that way
is because it is not clear what the behavior should be for solvers
which don't provide the information.  If they have to calculate the
value on each iteration it adds some unnecessary work.

--
Brian Gough

GNU Scientific Library -
http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/