help-gsl

Re: [Help-gsl] SVD with GSL outperformed by MatLab by a factor of 10

From: Brian Gough
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] SVD with GSL outperformed by MatLab by a factor of 10
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 20:48:40 +0000

At Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:49:56 +0100,
Kalb Max wrote:
> We could live with less precise singular values, since we throw away the
> smallest ones. Additionally, we do not need the according vectors of the
> U-matrix.
>
> Any idead how to improve the GSL version?

As mentioned, you could try ATLAS for the BLAS.  Otherwise I'd suggest
profiling the code.  On GNU/Linux I would use valgrind for that.

The algorithm implemented in GSL is not as sophisticated as the one in
LAPACK (which is what MATLAB actually uses I believe) so there's a
limit to what can be done without implementing that algorithm.

--
Brian Gough