Re: Help with Ruby: rouge 2.0.7

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: Help with Ruby: rouge 2.0.7
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 23:48:22 +0100

Hi Ben,

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 22:14:06 +1000
Ben Woodcroft <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello there,
>

> On 15/03/17 08:08, Björn Höfling wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to import the Ruby package 'rouge' 2.0.7 into Guix. I'm new
> > to Ruby, Gem, Rake, etc. and tried the importer with some success.
> > Maybe someone with more Ruby experience can tell me what's the
> > right way here?
> >
> > OK, I thought this is an easy one, because it has no dependencies:
> Unfortunately, as you found, often the dependencies needed for
> testing are sometimes not listed at rubygems.org, since it is not
> common for tests to be run as part of the "gem install" installation
> process.
>
> > https://rubygems.org/gems/rouge/versions/2.0.7
> >
> > I started with:
> >
> > guix import gem rouge > rouge.scm
> >
> > Then added some import headers in the file and tried to build it
> > with [..]
> > /gnu/store/6ks5gf4088qd23hac1cbd14aml6h1pgw-bundler-1.14.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/bundler-1.14.5/lib/bundler/resolver.rb:386:in
> > `block in verify_gemfile_dependencies_are_found!': Could not find
> > gem 'wrong' in any of the gem sources listed in your Gemfile.
> > (Bundler::GemNotFound)
> > from
> > /gnu/store/6ks5gf4088qd23hac1cbd14aml6h1pgw-bundler-1.14.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/bundler-1.14.5/lib/bundler/resolver.rb:356:in
> > `each'
> > [..]
> >
> > Does that mean that I have to install
> > 'wrong' (https://rubygems.org/gems/wrong) that itself has 5
> > dependencies, 4 are not in Guix?
> That seems to be the case, unfortunately. There also seems to be some
> other gems in the Gemfile which aren't yet packaged for Guix. There
> are also a number of packages in the wip-rails branch on savannah
> which might be of use - these aren't quite ready yet but if there was
> interest I could finish them off.
>
> If the number of packages needed gets too large, then there may be a
> case for not running the tests in some packages.
>
> Good luck.
> ben.

Rouge was just a leaf node in my dependency graph to Jekyll. Now it is
no longer a leaf, it is a node nearly on top... That dependency hell is
frustrating.

I would prefer not skipping the tests. For now I installed Jekyll from
my current distribution (Guix is currently just on top of that). I will
try to find some real leaf nodes later and start with them. But that
has low priority for me.

Thank you for your help,

Björn