Re: How to setuid X.org?

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: How to setuid X.org?
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 07:48:01 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> Hello,
>
>      I have tried several times to get X.org (/bin/X, specifically)
> setuid for obvious reasons. However, I can't find any examples of usage
> and attempting to follow the infopages has led to a bunch of different
> errors and failures (and rather useless error messages). I currently
> don't have any useful logs of what I tried and the output (it was on a
> LiveUSB I'm using for testing purposes), but I'm not wanting to use
> %desktop-services (or other service packs, for that matter), which has
> already been suggested.
>
> Can someone either A) improve the documents for setuid programs (and
> gexps) with some practical examples, or B) provide me with a (hopefully
> working) snippet to add to the config?

Setuid programs are documented here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Setuid-Programs

Following the "passwd" example, making "X" setuid root would be declared
like this:

(operating-system
  [...]
  (setuid-programs
   (cons #~(string-append #$xorg-server "/bin/X")
         %setuid-programs))

It's not clear to me how to improve this since it's very similar to how
other defaults are overridden. Any suggestions?

TIA!