Re: mumble issues with pulseaudio

From: ng0
Subject: Re: mumble issues with pulseaudio
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2017 15:43:31 +0000

Ludovic Courtès transcribed 0.9K bytes:
> Hello,
>
> ng0 <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > The bug is, you have to close every possible open application which
> > could make use of sound input/output (webbrowser, IM, etc) then shake
> > the random dice pair and hope that Mumble detected your sound devices.
> > If it didn't, you have to wait some seconds and restart Mumble and
> > repeat it until your sound devices appear to be working.
> > This is annoying and can leave you with the impression that it doesn't
> > work - but it does work.
>
> Could it be that Mumble does *not* use PulseAudio, but instead attempts
> to use ALSA directly?

It was listed as a dependency (if I remember correctly). When I start
mumble, it appears under 'Applications' and 'All Streams' but not
'Virtual Streams'. I avoided getting into pulseaudio for a long time, so
I can only guess (and read up on the topic).
A clear sign that it does use pulseaudio would be references in the
source code, messages in standard output / log with reference to
pulseaudio, and what else?

> PulseAudio works best when all the applications on the system use it.
> :-)  You can check with ‘pavucontrol’ the list of applications currently
> doing audio with PulseAudio.

The problem is that mumble sometimes appears in Applications of
pavucontrol and sometimes it doesn't.