Re: File Managers shows many devices that are not drives, in i3 but not

From: Stefan Stefanović
Subject: Re: File Managers shows many devices that are not drives, in i3 but not in GNOME
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 01:14:34 +0100

Hello,
I use i3 window manager myself and have solved this problem by installing gvfs package in my guix profile.

I started the nautilus file manager from the terminal emulator and I got the following warnings:
  invoking IsSupported() failed for remote volume monitor with dbus name
    org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor:: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:     The name org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor was not provided by any .service files (g-dbus-error-quark, 2)
  invoking IsSupported() failed for remote volume monitor with dbus name
    org.gtk.vfs.MTPVolumeMonitor:: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:     The name org.gtk.vfs.MTPVolumeMonitor was not provided by any .service files (g-dbus-error-quark, 2)
  invoking IsSupported() failed for remote volume monitor with dbus name
    org.gtk.vfs.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor:: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:     The name org.gtk.vfs.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor was not provided by any .service files (g-dbus-error-quark, 2)

The gvfs package provides the above mentioned dbus services.

To test this I installed it to my user profile by running:
guix package -i gvfs

I had to check the presence of the above mentioned dbus service files by running:
ls -l $GUIX_PROFILE/share/dbus-1/services/

And since I have fish as my default shell I had to run:
exec sh -c "source $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile; exec fish"
to properly set new environment variables.
(You can change the above command by replacing 'fish' with your shell command.)

At this point I started nautilus from the terminal emulator and the problem was solved.

Test this solution and of course you can add this package in your system profile.

This reply is a bit late but it may be useful to others who have similar problems.

-Stefan