Re: Openvpn and NetworkManager

From: Johannes Laute
Subject: Re: Openvpn and NetworkManager
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 13:39:46 +0100

Hi Ludo',

A person there wrote:

> among other things I was missing the line users.extraGroups.networkmanager.members = ["root"];

Could you try “groupadd -r networkmanager && usermod -aG networkmanager root”
(these changes will be lost upon reboot) and run “nmtui” from there?

This does not fix the problem, the problem persists also after "sudo herd restart networking", the message is still "Could not activate the connection: The VPN service 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.openvpn was not installed'"

Querying /var/log for "vpn" returns many entries like this:

/messages:Jan 11 13:24:50 localhost NetworkManager[19464]: <info>  [1515673490.8272] audit: op="connection-activate" uuid="not sure if this is sensitive information but i removed it anyways" name="mullvad_de-ber" pid=19581 uid=0 result="fail" reason="The VPN service 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.openvpn' was not installed."

I will investigate further later, but I am not sure where to start

Johannes

(sorry about sending it twice, i accidentally only replied to you)