Re: Don't auto-start a service in Shepherd

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Don't auto-start a service in Shepherd
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 23:15:06 +0100

Rutger Helling <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Guix,
>
> Is there a way to prevent auto-starting a service in Shepherd? I find
> that if I use "herd disable service" it still automatically starts the
> service on a reboot/reconfigure.

I do not know of a way, but perhaps somebody else does.  What is your
use case?  I'm curious to know why you want to disable the service, but
not remove it.

For now, you might be able to accomplish what you want by doing this.
Remove the service from your operating system configuration file, run
"guix system reconfigure", and then reboot into the new system
generation.  Once you're done with whatever you're doing, you can
permanently return to the previous system generation by running "guix
system roll-back", followed by a reboot.  Alternatively, you can
re-introduce the service into your operating system configuration file,
and "roll forward" by running "guix system reconfigure" again.

Hope that helps!

--
Chris