Language tag for traditional Chinese (was: Posts in languages other than

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Language tag for traditional Chinese (was: Posts in languages other than English on help-guix?)
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 16:05:31 +0100

Ludo', Alex,

On 2018-03-05 9:45, address@hidden wrote:
The locale should be zh_TW (for Taiwan), zh_HK (for Hong Kong) and zh_mo
(for Macau). Should I use a let to avoid duplication?

As long as the above sentence is intelligible to people from all these
regions, it’s enough to write “zh” I guess?  (It’s meant to be a
language tag for humans to read, not an actual locale specification.)

I'd definitely avoid that. For better or worse, ‘zh’ is assumed to equal ‘zh_CN’ or simplified Chinese.

If a single code for traditional Chinese is required, Wikipedia has this to say:

‘The World Wide Web Consortium recommends the use of the language tag zh-Hant as a language attribute value and Content-Language value to specify web-page content in Traditional Chinese.’[0]

In practice, the locale ‘zh_TW’ is often used instead. For example:

‘The standard locale for simplified Chinese is zh_CN. The standard locale for traditional Chinese is zh_TW.’[1]

...but I don't like that very much. I'd go with the W3C, but I'm not exactly a native speaker. Alex?

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_Chinese_characters#Computer_encoding [1]: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4892372/language-codes-for-simplified-chinese-and-traditional-chinese

Sent from a Web browser. Excuse or enjoy my brevity.