Re: keyboard layout and system locale

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: keyboard layout and system locale
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 22:14:49 +0100

Hello Catonano

Catonano <address@hidden> writes:

>  Hello Catonano
>
>  Catonano <address@hidden> writes:
>
>  > Can I set up the keyboard layout and my system locale (Italian) for my Gnome desktop in my conf.scm file ?
>  >
>  > Otherwise I have to click around in every throaway virtual machine I create in order to be able to use the desktop environment
>  >
>  > Thanks
>
>  To set the keyboard layout in my config.scm I replaced %desktop-services
>  with this:
>
>  (modify-services %desktop-services
>  (slim-service-type config =>
>  (slim-configuration
>  (inherit config)
>  (startx (xorg-start-command
>  #:configuration-file
>  (xorg-configuration-file
>  ;; Setup X to use a swiss german keyboard layout.
>  #:extra-config
>  '("Section \"InputClass\"
>  Identifier \"keyboard-all\"
>  Option \"XkbLayout\" \"ch\" ; <~ replace \"ch\" with \"it\"
>
>  Ok, the semicolon is illegal Xorg syntax and made the server crash !!

I am sorry.  I meant to write a comment to explain which entry you
should replace and forgot that my "comment" was still inside the
string.  Everything after and including the semicolon is not supposed to
be there.  I apologise for this silly mistake.

No need to apologize, I was not blaming you
Sorry if that came out the wrong way !

I wrote an example config (based on the one you posted) and verified
that it works both with `guix system vm-image' and `guix system init'
(after modifying the target hard disk) and that the X server does not
crash:

Unfortunately GNOME overrides the system wide keyboard settings.  So
this only addresses your initial concern if you use Xfce.

That's something ;-)

For now I used the VMs to open 2 bugs related to Gnome.
There's an "ibus" thing not working
And a control panel crashing

Didn't test your new file yet, I'll let you know !!

Thanks !