Re: IceCat's user-agent reports Windows NT 6.1, Re: IceCat's user-agent

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: IceCat's user-agent reports Windows NT 6.1, Re: IceCat's user-agent reports Windows NT 6.1
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 10:56:57 -0700

Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Reducing fingerprinting is hardly advertisment.

I agree with Nils: the IceCat default user agent string is accomplishing
its intended purpose, which is to protect users' privacy by default by
obscuring your fingerprint.  You can change it if you want to.

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Sounds like a misfeature to me: lots of website use it to display the
> right content depending on the OS the user is running (tutorials,
> downloads, etc.).  Disclosing the OS family the user is running is
> hardly a threat to privacy in my opinion.

On this topic, you might find the following humorous article to be
interesting:

https://webaim.org/blog/user-agent-string-history/

The meaning of the user agent string is pretty muddy in today's world!

--
Chris