Re: Guix and Emacs Integration for Polyglot Development

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix and Emacs Integration for Polyglot Development
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 23:55:53 +0200

Hello!

Maxim Cournoyer <address@hidden> skribis:

> I think it's a valid question here, and I'd like to find a great
> solution too! So far when using guix environments, I resorted to:
>
> 1. Spawning the environment in the command line
> 2. Starting a new Emacs instance (not attached to my Emacs server) from
> this environment, so that it gets access to all the variables and tools
> defined within the environment.
>
> I see there is a way to create Guix environments in Emacs using the
> Emacs-Guix tool,
> but it seems those are limited to be used from a *shell* like buffer;
> Emacs is not magically picking up tools that might become available in
> that new environment.
>
> If you find a more integrated way to work with a single instance of
> Emacs (say, emacs-server) + Guix environments, please let us know!

That’s also something I’m interested in.  For example, I’ve done things
like:

  M-x compile RET guix environment … -- make -j4

in the past, but it’s inconvenient and respawning ‘guix environment’
every time is inefficient.

It would be nice if we could somehow attach an environment to a buffer,
and for instance have M-x compile operate under that environment.

Another interesting thing would be the ability to have Babel snippet
specify their complete environment, instead of just the language.  For
that we’d need help from Emacs-Guix to keep track of existing
environments.

Maybe if Alex Kost is reading this they can comment.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.