Re: Problem with Tor & IceCat

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Problem with Tor & IceCat
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2019 15:09:51 -0500

Archetyp Jung <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello, the use of Tor with GNU IceCat does not work, Tor must be
> configured as a system service?
>
> How exactly does Tor have to be entered here as a system service
> in this config.scm?

It's pretty easy actually.

> ;; This is an operating system configuration template
> ;; for a "desktop" setup with Xfce.
>
> (use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss))
  (use-service-modules desktop networking)
> (use-package-modules certs)
>
> (operating-system
>   (host-name "gnu")
>   (timezone "Europe/Berlin")
>   (locale "de_DE.UTF-8")
>
>   ;; Assuming /dev/sda is the target hard disk, and "my-root"
>   ;; is the label of the target root file system.
>   (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))
>   (file-systems (cons (file-system
>                         (device "my-root")
>                         (title 'label)
>                         (mount-point "/")
>                         (type "ext4"))
>                       %base-file-systems))
>
>   (users (cons (user-account
>                 (name "user")
>                 (comment "")
>                 (group "users")
>                 (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
>                                         "audio" "video"))
>                 (home-directory "/home/user"))
>                %base-user-accounts))
>
>   ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
>   (packages (cons* nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
>                    %base-packages))
>
>   ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
>   ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
>   ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with
>   ;; NetworkManager, and more.
>   (services (cons* (console-keymap-service "de")
                     (service tor-service-type)
>                    (xfce-desktop-service)
>                    %desktop-services))
>
>   ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
>   (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

Now, when you start icecat, you may have to click on the tor plugin to
activate it, but it normally autostarts for me.

Also, at least for me, that doesn't configure my browser to access tor
hidden services.  But it does run all of your http traffic through the
tor network, which is pretty cool.

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus