Re: Screen does not wake up from suspend ("No signal") on a Radeon RX 58

From: Boris A. Dekshteyn
Subject: Re: Screen does not wake up from suspend ("No signal") on a Radeon RX 580
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 19:25:48 +1200

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

>> It would be nice :). In its absence, xf86-video-modesetting should be
>> used. But without firmware you don't have KMS, so ...
>
> Done.
>
>> What kernel version is used?
>
> 4.20.4-gnu
>
>> What does dmesg say about amdgpu?
>
> Absolutely nothing.
>
>> Anyway i'm suspect that without a firmware (deblobed in linux-libre) KMS
>> and power management (and hibernation too) will not work.
>
> Any idea where I could get more info about that?

>From arch-wiki:
The amdgpu kernel module should load fine automatically on system boot.

If it does not happen, then:

Make sure to #Enable Southern Islands (SI) and Sea Islands (CIK) support
when needed.
Make sure you have the latest linux-firmware package installed. This
driver requires the latest firmware for each model to successfully boot.
Make sure you do not have nomodeset or vga= as a kernel parameter, since
amdgpu requires KMS.
Check that you have not disabled amdgpu by using any kernel module blacklisting.

> Also what good it the amdgpu without the firmware?  What's the role of the
> firmware in the picture?

Of course, I could be wrong, but most likely, for hardware acceleration,
power management etc., proprietary firmware required. Without this, only
a very limited functionality of the video card will work.

I think some explanations can be found in this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/950g8r/will_we_be_able_to_game_anytime_soon_using_amd/

---
 WBR, Boris Dekshteyn