help-gv

Re: [help-gv] Feature request: buffering data from stdin

From: Bernhard R. Link
Subject: Re: [help-gv] Feature request: buffering data from stdin
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 15:34:15 +0200

* Stefan Illy <address@hidden> [070823 14:42]:
> Sometimes it's convenient to use gv with postscript data coming from stdin
> (simple example: dvips -f foo.dvi | gv -)
>[...]
> To avoid this behavior I wrote a simple shell-script wrapper which
> copies the data from stdin to a temporary file and then opens this file
> with the gv binary (I'll append the script below).
>
> My question: do you think it makes sense to include this behavior
> directly in the gv binary,

The disadvantage of that aproach is that it only works once the file is
finished. Current gv might not be able to switch back or select pages,
but it is possible to view an endless stream of pages while they
arrive. As long as no long finds a way where both works, it would be
nice if there was at least a way to get the old behaviour (or only
activate this behaviour with a new option).

Hochachtungsvoll,
        Bernhard R. Link