Re: [Hurd-alpha-devel] Re: L4 instead of gnumach?

From: OKUJI Yoshinori
Subject: Re: [Hurd-alpha-devel] Re: L4 instead of gnumach?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:29:38 +0900

From: Erik Verbruggen <ejv@cs.kun.nl>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:09:58 +0100

> Um, how quickly will HURD/the HURD people switch to pthreads? I mean,
> we want to run HURD on top of it, and HURD uses cthreads at the moment.

  That just depends on when someone contributes. Don't ask when
something will be implemented. If you want pthreads support, you
should work on it yourself. Don't expect that others will work on what
you want. This is a general rule in volunteer-based projects.

> Alpha still needs a multiboot loader (well, I can't find one). L4 is
> loaded as raw image on Alpha at the moment. I don't know if you have
> access to an Alpha, but it would be very nice to have a bootloader (for
> example aboot) modified so it can load multiboot stuff.

  That is planned, but support for multiple architectures is not our
current goal at the moment. Again, you will need to help the
development. Don't expect that I will work on porting GRUB to Alpha,
particularly because I have no Alpha machine.

Okuji