Re: Cygwin bug? Anyone got any ideas?

From: James Buchanan
Subject: Re: Cygwin bug? Anyone got any ideas?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:56:18 +1100

On 27 Nov 00, at 23:23, Neal H Walfield wrote:
> I have not used windows in years and never used cygwin. However, it is
> critical that user ids and group ids are preserved.  I do not know how
> that is going to work dumping to a fat partition.
Neither do I. I have no idea about user and group id's on Win. I am
not sure if they exist at all. Windows is just so hard to use. Linux
makes sense and has good compatibility. Windows makes no
sense and has nill compatibility.

> Why not install GNU/Linux on your 486 and then install the hurd?
Alright, let me see. Can I do it with an old-ish Linux? Like RH Linux
5.1 to be exact, then install the Mach/Hurd from there... I wonder if,
since the tar of my GNU System was made with a tar later than
the one on the RH Linux 5.1, if it will work. So now I have to figure
out what to do. I'm going off to read the files that are on the GNU
FTP site where the GNU System can be downloaded from.
Docuemntation is famous for being incomprehensible, so I hope it
is sensibly written in plain old normal English. I'll let you know how
it goes.

Thanks for your help! :)