SV: Threads

From: Svanberg Liss
Subject: SV: Threads
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:30:41 +0100

Just a final note.
Mabye you are not interested in *completely* transparent threading?
Mabye you just would like threads to be managed by the OS wherever it might
be suitable?

Start to check out BeOS. I don't really know much about Be, but it claims to
do just this, so it might be worth a look.

As I said, I don't know how Be does it, but I would presume that they have
defined a set of calls that most programs will use, and that allso happens
to spawn new threads.
With this concept, you will still need to worry about synchronizing, and
reentancy...
You will simply not know what threads you have got in your program, so I
think coding will actually be harder this way. And most old programs will
break...
But, again, you might use SMP's better.

// Liss