Re: FPU emulation for oskit-mach: what versions?

From: Igor Khavkine
Subject: Re: FPU emulation for oskit-mach: what versions?
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 11:39:16 -0500

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 03:43:54PM +0100, Zeno Gantner wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to try out the FPU emulation code,
> so what version of oskit-mach should I patch?
>
> Is it correct that Igor's patch is the most
> likely effort to get it work (or the only one?)
>
> thx in advance
>
> Zeno

There was also Daniel Wagner <wagi@gmx.ch> who was working on the
same code, he was trying to integrate it into OSKit, but I don't
know how far he got, I haven't heard from him in a while.

I was working with the CVS version of oskit-mach, I'm not sure
if the patch will apply cleanly now though. Apart from the
FPU code I was trying to clean up oskit-mach from unused/dead
code. Roland requested those changes in a separate patch, but
I don't know if applied it or not.

As for the problems with the emulation code. It mostly works, however
for some odd reason it doesn't interpret all instructions properly.
It might be something that I introduced while writing the glue code
for oskit-mach, or a bug in the instruction decoder. I didn't have
time to look more into that because I started school again. And I
probably won't be able until this summer.

So if you want to help try it out, and try to trace the instruction
decoder to see if it's working properly.

Igor