Re: LSH 1.2 works on systems that lack /dev/random?

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: LSH 1.2 works on systems that lack /dev/random?
Date: 12 Apr 2001 09:01:37 +0200

ogi@fmi.uni-sofia.bg (Ognyan Kulev) writes:

> http://www.roads.lut.ac.uk/lists/psst/2001/04/0000.html announces LSH 1.2
> and one of its new features is "an improved randomness generator that works
> also on systems that lack /dev/random".  Does this mean that we can compile
> it cleanly on Hurd?

The new generator tries to run a bunch of programs like netstat,
vmstat, ps, etc, to seed a generator. (Of course, it also reads
/dev/urandom, if available). So it depends on how many of those
programs are available.

And all this is runtime-issues, any compilation troubles are
orthogonal to the randomness generator.

Regards,
/Niels