Re: Third and Fourth IDE controllers and GNU/Hurd GNUMach

From: Christian Holm Christensen
Subject: Re: Third and Fourth IDE controllers and GNU/Hurd GNUMach
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:47:48 +0100

Hi Niels et al,

On 18 Jan 2002 11:50:11 +0100
nisse@lysator.liu.se (Niels Möller) wrote
concerning "Re: Third and Fourth IDE controllers and GNU/Hurd GNUMach":
> Hmm, you're using vmware for installing the Hurd, and then you boot it
> on the real machine? That's odd enough that I didn't understand it at
> first ;-)

It's not so odd.  As I wrote in the previous mail, the Linux kernel on
the H2 cdroms does not support 3'rd and 4'th ide controllers (ide2 and
ide3).

> I'm afraid I can't help you here. If you quote the exact error
> messages, perhaps someone else will understand what's going on?

I haven't got the output here, but here's some more details.

* GNUMac boots from Grub
* Then, when booting serverboot, it says:

    Root device `/dev/hd4s1' does not exist!
    Root device name? [/dev/hd4s1]

  That is, it prompts me for the root device name.  This happens in
  the main function of serverboot (source file
  hurd/serverboot/bootstrap.c line 304, CVS head two days ago).
  Entering something else does not help, since then it either can't
  find the device or the server boot script, and so it complains

    Can't open server boot script /dev/hd4s1/boot/serverboot: <some error>
    Server boot script? [/dev/hd4s1/boot/serverboot]

Hope that's enough detail for someone to help me out.

Philip Dodd's problem is related to SCSI drives, and I fear have very
little to do with my problem, since I believe the problem lies in the
ide device driver, not in the kernel or serverboot proper, but that's
a (qualified?) quess.

Yours,

Christian Holm Christensen -------------------------------------------
Address: Sankt Hansgade 23, 1. th.           Phone:  (+45) 35 35 96 91
         DK-2200 Copenhagen N                Cell:   (+45) 28 82 16 23
         Denmark                             Office: (+45) 353  25 305
Email:   cholm@nbi.dk                        Web:    www.nbi.dk/~cholm