Re: Ashish Gokhale: I want to contribute to GNU MACH/Hurd system.

From: mike burrell
Subject: Re: Ashish Gokhale: I want to contribute to GNU MACH/Hurd system.
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 21:39:28 -0700

Ashish Gokhale (ag2001_email@yahoo.co.in) said:
> I want to constibute to the development of mach / hurd
> system. I have been able to download both hurd & mach
> sources. I also read that Debian distribution System
> comes with mach & hurd. I belive that I need to have a
> running linux system in order to have gnu-mach-hurd
> running. Or is there any stand-alone distribution of
> it?

Debian GNU/Hurd is a stand-alone operating system.  perhaps the name "Debian"
confused you into thinking that it has something to do with Linux.  that's not
the case.

http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-cd has information on downloading
bootable ISO's of Debian GNU/Hurd.  if that's a problem for you, i think with a
little searching you can find companies that will sell you Debian GNU/Hurd
CD's.

the short answer to your question is no, you do not have to have a running
Linux system.  before the bootable ISO's were made, installing Debian GNU/Hurd
involved cross-installing from Linux, but that's no longer necessary.

--
 /"\                                                 m i k e   b u r r e l l
 \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN                                mikpos@shaw.ca