Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:35:58 -0500

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 01:08:10PM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
>       of course, I'm still puzzling a bit over why there is a need to move
> all the /usr stuff to /. I know it cuts down the paths, but it adds more
> complexity to /, which is something I'd like to avoid. :)

You mean it adds complexity to a slash?  (I am deliberately
misunderstanding you here :)  The reason we do all this is because it is
the right thing.  We are not scared of complexity, as long as we feel
sure that we can manage it, and it is flexible enough to allow to do
simple things easily.

> > However, note that all this is a work around specifically for Debian and
> > other legacy stuff.  Eventually, we should do the right thing and put
> > each package in its own directory, /package/foo/
> > Then /bin would be the union of all /package/*/bin etc.
>
> this gets back to the old per-package directory/per-function directory holy
> war;

Not at all, because you are not supposed to access the /packages files
directly.  (Well, maybe the package itself should be allowed to access it via
this path, that is something to think about).  This is just another way
to implement a packaging system.

[packagefs]
> this could be generated pretty easily, based on information in the package
> database. problem there, is that it's not guaranteed to be up-to-date, since
> changes might be made after a package is installed.

Well, this can be done but it is completely upside down to what I have
mentioned here.  The hierarchy I was talking about is supposed to be (eg
replace) the packaging system.  The users would still see the normal
irectory hierarchy (collapsed).

Note that you ca do clever things like for /etc/inetd.conf you can
concatenate all /packages/*/etc/inetd.conf files with a special
translator setting.  (Kudos to RMS for this one).

> your idea has the merit of making dpkg --repack substantially easier

Trivial.  And other things, too, like deinstalltion (just remove a link
in /packages)  (note: this doe snot yet address things like un-sudoing
the files in the tree) and installation (setting a symlink).

This is only a rough plan.  It will need a lot more work to make this
working and fit together.

Thanks,
Marcus