Re: recursive commands

From: Oystein Viggen
Subject: Re: recursive commands
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 14:55:13 +0200

* [Craig Allan Jeffree]

>>  old = open(".");
>>  chdir("foo);
>>  delete stuff
>>  fchdir(old);
>>  delete more stuff
>>
> Isn't this potentially racey as well?  I can see that fchdir(old); will
> definately take you back to the parent of "foo" but how can you be sure
> that the directories aren't moved around between step 1 and 2?  You
> could end up in a different "foo" to what you intended, I guess this is
> a different issue - but it is still an issue isn't it?

I think the way rm already does that part is:

d=open("foo", 'r', O_DIRECTORY|O_NOFOLLOW);
fchdir(d);

If you don't do that, even in regular unix, a user can rename the dir
and exchange it with a symlink to / or whatever beneath your feet
between steps 1 and 2.

I've had other things to do in the easter, but I'll see if I can come up
with some translator stuff on top of this soon  :)

Oystein
--
When in doubt: Recompile.