Re: Running several instances of an fs server...

From: Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek
Subject: Re: Running several instances of an fs server...
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:59:03 +0200

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 04:15:27PM +0200, marco@linuxrulez.nl wrote:

> > Since filesystems can be `mounted' in users directories, serveral users
> > of the same machine are very likely to mount the same filesystem in
> > their own home dir, so that's an important issue.
>
> A user will not (in most cases) 'mount' a disk stored filesystem which is
> stored on a device or partition, for example (and it will not have the
> permissions to do this). The user can 'mount' a filesystem stored in a file
> (this is called a loopback device in linux).

I'm just setting up a second Hurd root partition. On both partitions I need
the /home translator in place. In addition I'd like to mount the root
of the other Hurd fs as /mnt/something. But that makes it possible to
go to /mnt/something/mnt/something which is actually your root ..

Generally you may find a partition that has translators already -
ie a disk from other Hurd system, a ramdisk image (once that is posiible),...

So it makes sense to lock the store in some way.