Re: Can um-pppd be made to work?

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Can um-pppd be made to work?
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:30:18 +0200

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 04:26:04PM -0400, Clemmitt Sigler wrote:
> I downloaded, hacked/patched, and built um-pppd natively under
> Hurd 0.3.  This is the latest source version from the main pool,
> which is um-pppd_20010804-1.
>
> I then made /dev/com0, and I can talk to my external modem just
> fine.

YOu have not tried higher speeds :)  At some point you will find out that
anything over 480baud doesn't work because the com driver in GNU Mach sucks
big time.  We will have tor ectofy this in GNU Mach v2, but this can take a
while (end of this year).

> I then edited /etc/ppp/ppp.conf to (hopefully) connect
> to my ISP's dial-up pool.
>
> I tried running ppp but got the error about not having a tunnel
> device.  So I created a tunnel device like so:
>
>    # settrans -c /dev/tun0 /hurd/pfinet

This is not the right way.  You will have to dig out the message by Neal
where he explains how to set it up if you want to try it out (it involves
setting -i tun0 on /server/socket/2).

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de