Re: Can um-pppd be made to work?

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Can um-pppd be made to work?
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:47:19 +0200

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 06:39:51PM -0400, Clemmitt Sigler wrote:
> Hi Marcus et al,
>
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > YOu have not tried higher speeds :)  At some point you will find out that
> > anything over 480baud doesn't work because the com driver in GNU Mach sucks
> > big time.  We will have tor ectofy this in GNU Mach v2, but this can take a
> > while (end of this year).
>
> Aha -- I did find a message in one of the mailing list archives that
> said that any speed over 300 baud was not useful.

Or maybe that, yes.  It was probably a message by me, so it must be right :)

> Please tell me you
> meant 4800 baud and not 480 :^D

I am so sorry.

> Well, I'm patient.  If there's no
> useful/reusable way to improve gnumach-1.3 for better serial speeds,
> then we wait.  I certainly think a usable ppp will help get a lot
> more people using the Hurd -- but Many People have been saying this
> since 1999 or before.  And if you're not a part of the solution,
> you're a part of the problem (and I'm not a part of the solution ;^)

It is well known what we need to do: Add proper drivers to OSKit and bring
GNU Mach 2 into shape.  That's why I wrote the console client (this effort
has its root in November last year).  So, we are making progress and heading
toward using OSKit v2, although quite a bit delayed :)

And it wil be delayed even further, as I will be on the road soon for the
whole of october.  We have quite a few people who already compiled and
worked a bit on the OSKit version of Mach, maybe I will have a good surprise
when I come back, hint, hint ;)

> > >    # settrans -c /dev/tun0 /hurd/pfinet
> > This is not the right way.  You will have to dig out the message by Neal
> > where he explains how to set it up if you want to try it out (it involves
> > setting -i tun0 on /server/socket/2).
>
> Sorry, my bad.  I didn't thoroughly troll the mailing list archives
> to find out how to make it work.  Will do.  If I have success, I'll
> post the details.  (Now to ask a different question in my next post....)

I wonder if Neal didn't have it in a README in the um-pppd package, too.

Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/