Re: Newbies questions

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Newbies questions
Date: 11 Oct 2002 09:21:44 +0200

Tom Hart <hartte13@BrandonU.CA> writes:
> Andreas K. Foerster wrote:
> > I'm curious about HURD and try to install it. But I still have a
> > lot of problems with it.
> >
> You're not alone, that's why it's 0.2 and not 1.0. :-)

What is there in a number?

> >I have Debian GNU/HURD 0.2. Well, I know that it's not the newest
> >version, but it's the only one I can get at the moment.

May one ask what this Debian GNU/Hurd 0.2 is?  Or are you really
talking about GNU 0.2?  Debian GNU/Hurd 0.2 does not exist, but there
exists an release of GNU made in 1997 called GNU 0.2.  If you are
using this release then you should upgrade at once.

> >So far I have installed the main system on my harddrive and I can
> > boot it with a diskette. How can I get GRUB onto the harddisk?
> >
> This is described in your GRUB documentation. You can access it
> using "info grub", or read the manual online.

The instruction in the GRUB info pages for what commands to use to
boot GNU/Hurd are wrong by the way.  See Neal's installation guide for
the correct commands:
http://web.walfield.org/papers/hurd-installation-guide/english/hurd-install-guide.html

> > In your installation guide you wrote something about
> > "/etc/apt/sources.list", but I cannot find it on my disk. Is that just
> > for later versions?
> >
> No, this exists in all Debian distributions, both GNU/Hurd and
> GNU/Linux.

I think the reason why he can't find it is because he might be using
GNU 0.2.

Cheers,
--
Alfred M. Szmidt