Re: Problem with ext2fs.static under Bochs

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Problem with ext2fs.static under Bochs
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 20:50:09 +0100

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 03:53:09PM +0000, THOMAS EDWARD HART wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been running Robert Millan's GNU/Hurd image under Bochs
> (Version 1.4.1 on Windows).
>
> The system runs quite well; however, on one boot the system
> froze at the login prompt with this message from ext2fs.static:
>
> login> ext2fs.static: intr-msg.c:304:
> _hurd_intr_rpc_mach_msg: Assertion `m->header.msgh_id ==
> msgid + 100' failed.
>
> The error has only occurred once. The system usually starts
> up correctly.

Does it happen the first time you boot it? In that case i guess you
can reproduce it by re-downloading the image.

But it didn't happen to me (and a lot others), could you try with
the latest version of bochs?

> Has anyone else experienced any similar errors? I'm
> wondering if this is some odd interaction between
> ext2fs.static and Bochs, or if this could be a bug in
> ext2fs.static (in which case I'll report this to Bug-Hurd).

well, bochs emulation is not perfect. specialy when it comes
to hardware devices and bioses. but if you can't reproduce
it i doubt it can be helpful to the Hurd developers.

--
Robert Millan

"Omnis enim res, quad dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est."

"For if a thing is not diminished by being shared with others, it is
not rightly owned if it is only owned and not shared."

                Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)