Re: wheeee! installed. no network. now what? :)

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: wheeee! installed. no network. now what? :)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:12:08 +0100

    because marcus helped me get hurd installed when i met him in
    bristol last year and it didn't work.

Didn't work and didn't get detected are two very different things.  My
eepro100 card works quite fine with GNU Mach 1.3.  So you still need
to be more specific.  I ask once again; how did you setup pfinet? Did
the card get detected?  And finally, did you sacrifice your soul to
Saint IGNUcius?

    yes i read the installation guide.  especially the networking
    section which contains no information, and i mean no information.

    the section heading is there but the content is blank.

Sorry, but this is completely false.  From section 7.1 The Network:

  To configure the network, the pfinet translator must be
  configured. This is done using the settrans command to attach a
  translator to a given filesystem node. When programs access the node
  by, for example sending an RPC, the operating system will
  transparently start the server to handle the request.

  # settrans -fgap /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 \
   -a a.b.c.d -g e.f.g.h -m i.j.k.l
[...]

If you think the wording is bad, please send a suggestion on how to
make it clearer.  You can read more about what options pfinet has by
supplying --help to pfinet (i.e. /hurd/pfinet --help).

    next time you respond, please do both myself, and yourself, a
    favour: please try not to make your response, to someone who is
    enthusiastic about your project, sound like you want to kick their
    head in.

If trying to actually help someone politely sounds like one wants to
kick them in the head, so be it.

<rant>
And next time _you_ respond keep your rants to yourself, including
what you think I said between the lines.  My message was neither
aggressive, or discourteous.  It might have been unprofessional since
working on the Hurd or GNU/Hurd is not my profession.
</rant>