Re: GNU/Hurd User's Guide

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Re: GNU/Hurd User's Guide
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:44:29 -0800

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 10:40:22AM -0800, Eric Sandall wrote:

> Why not just link to the correct manual (Debian's, BASH's, etc.)
> instead of rewriting it?  One of the nice things about the web is you
> can link to it and not have to redo it.

Because as a new user, it's too much to ask me to look in 10, 15 (or in
the case of Oracle) 3*10^6 manuals.  Sure, user manuals become out of
date.  So instead of making later people fork it, setup a "Hurd Users
Manual" project on Savannah and give a number of people checkin and
admin rights to it.  That way when the current maintainer gets tired of
it, a new person, irritated at how out of date the manual has become can
pick it up instead of forking or writing a new one.  New users will
still know that foo.nongnu.org has a hurd users manual.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey