Re: TCPA/Palladium (moved from OT debian-hurd thread)

From: Kurt B. Kaiser
Subject: Re: TCPA/Palladium (moved from OT debian-hurd thread)
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:18:04 -0400

Robert Millan <zeratul2@wanadoo.es> writes:

> that's futile. who will care when we have our own free internet [1]
>
> [1] like, see http://seattlewireless.net/

Yes, something like that might^H^H^H^H^H would happen, but don't
underestimate the media, the government and the FCC.  When you poke
them in the eye with blatent things like pirate descramblers,
they tend to develop an effective response over time.

>> I would think that an OS like the Hurd with limited (political)
>> resources might have a hard time in that environment.
>
> did you mean an OS like GNU, or a set of servers like the Hurd? i
> myself only see political implications in the system as a whole.

I was being lazy, it's like calling GNU/Linux Linux.  I meant
GNU/Hurd, of course.

Because of the big players involved, GNU/Linux could survive the
challenge (if it comes) and become a certified OS.  Or at least some
restricted version could be certified.

But the user base for GNU/Hurd is probably too small warrant a
certification effort, and if a certified version wasn't available the
user base would be so constrained that growing to critical mass would
take forever.  Chicken/egg situation.

--
KBK