Re: [Help-HURD] some questions about hurd

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: [Help-HURD] some questions about hurd
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:35:37 +0200

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 01:30:38AM +0200, Monge Maurizio wrote:
> I have given a look to what the Mach kernel provides, and i
> was just wandering about using it in the X server.
> Usually if is not used XShm, when program wants to disaplay
> a 2Mb image, it sends it throw the socket, so the image is copied
> first in kernel space and then in the Xserver memory (at least i think so).
> Under mach, the Xserver could just use as implict the fact
> that the image in the program would be mapped in the server memory
> and getting a poiter to it, or should the Xserver be running as a
> translator?

We have patches for shared memory under Hurd/Mach but they are not 100%
correct because of deficiencies in the Hurd (or you could also say Mach
IPC).  You can find them in the mailing lists and/or Savannah patch list.

> Another question is:
> What about l4-hurd?
> Is there anything wrong with Mach (maybe it is to old?,...), or it is
> only a way to test more extensively hurd servers?

Yes, but for a thorough discussion you have to check out the mailing list
archives.  Mach is  s l o w  and it lacks some important features.  And it
has stability issues that nobody is addressing.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/